Saturday, September 19, 2009

"THERE IS NO HAPPY LOVE", ARAGON SAYS...





And here a scrumptious poem!


My favorite poem of Louis Aragon, one of his poems he had written for his lover, - also a writer- Elsa Triolet.




Translated from the original French poem by Louis Aragon (1946):


Man never truly possesses anything
Neither his strength, nor his weakness, nor his heart
And when he opens his arms
His shadow is that of a cross
And when he tries to embrace happiness
He crushes it
His life is a strange and painful divorce

There is no happy love

His life resembles those soulless soldiers
Who have been groomed for a different fate
Why should they rise in the morning
When nighttime finds them disarmed, uncertain
Say these words and hold back your tears

There is no happy love

My beautiful love, my dear love, my torn heart
I carry you in me like a wounded bird
Those who unknowingly watch us walk by
Repeat after me my words and sigh
They have already died in your bright eyes

There is no happy love

By the time we learn to live
It’s already too late
Our hearts cry in unison at night
It takes many a misfortune for the simplest song
Many regrets to pay for a thrill
Many a tear for a guitar’s melody

There is no happy love


There is no love which is not pain
There is no love which does not bruise
There is no love which does not fade
And none that is greater than your love for your country
There is no love which does not live from tears

There is no happy love
But it is our own love

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still believe in happy love. Besides, i still have belief in happy sappy love songs and those meaningful lyrics - no matter what happened or i won't care what people think...IT STILL EXISTS ! Because someday, everyone will have their own happy love story! Or maybe they have already had...Never be desperate about this, my friend. (even though, i know you are not desperate:))

    ReplyDelete